Saturday 19 July 2008

Who am I?

'Who Am I, that the eyes that see my sin

Would look on me with love, and watch me rise again?


Who Am I, that the voice that calmed the sea


Would call out through the rain


And calm the storm in me?'


Really, who am I to deserve this sort of love? I'm a sinner. And yet this wonderful, Holy, Almighty God cares about how I feel, feels my pain, and comforts me. He forgives me when I deserve it least, and carries me through when I need it the most.

Psalm 139 v 1-5


' 1 O LORD, you have searched me
and you know me.

2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.

3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.

4 Before a word is on my tongue
you know it completely, O LORD.

5 You hem me in—behind and before;
you have laid your hand upon me.'


He knows everything I've done, and everything I'm going to do. Things I'm not even aware of yet, and things I might never understand. What's more, He knows why I do what I do. He knows my weaknesses, and He knows who I am.

I am a lot like my Mother. I look quite a bit like her, and I have the same sort of sense of humour. I also share her passion for chocolate. I'm a lot like my Dad, too. I love reading, and word puzzles. And sometimes, people say we look alike too. But just how alike am I to my Heavenly Father, the one who created me?


Psalm 139 v 13

'13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.'

I believe that God is Love. To me, this next quotation really reminds me of that. Sometimes, it becomes so easy for us to forget that God isn't just a big presence in the sky, but a presence within our hearts, too.

I Corinthians 13:1-7

'If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. '


Let's try replacing the word 'love' with the name God...


God is patient, God is kind. He does not envy, He does not boast, He is not proud. He is not rude, He is not self-seeking, He is not easily angered, He keeps no record of wrongs. God does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. He always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Yeah... Now that sounds like my God. The God who gave me free will, who forgives me for doing things I know I shouldn't, even, at times, when I struggle to forgive myself. He protects me, loves me, and has promised He will never leave me.

Psalm 121 v 1-3

' 1 I lift up my eyes to the hills—
where does my help come from?

2 My help comes from the LORD,
the Maker of heaven and earth.

3 He will not let your foot slip—
he who watches over you will not slumber'


If I trust in God,and do what He tells me is right, then it will work out the right way in the end.


Proverbs 3:5

' 5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding'

No comments: