Monday 26 March 2007

Amazing Grace

"Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
To save a wretch like me.
I once was lost, but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see."

I've been challenged by the film Amazing Grace. As I was walking out of the cinema, the thought occurred to me 'How do I apply this to my life?' Then I saw her bag. It was a Nike rucksack, and had the slogan

'Just do it.'

In big letters right at my eye level. So I'm just going to do it.

It's been 200 years since Slavery was 'abolished', and the slave trade is still there. The only difference is that we have, as with everything else, made it more 'politically correct', and sugar-coated it, by calling it 'Human Trafficking.'

I'm not saying that it isn't an accurate description of what is happening to every Man, Woman or Child who is torn away from their surroundings, and forced into a life of prostitution, smuggling or labour.

But somehow, through giving it a different name, it doesn't sound as wrong. We have made it sound like an issue in a broadsheet newspaper, which people do not understand. And because of this, people do not understand. We need to show people that Human Trafficking is not acceptable, and that it is a much bigger issue than they realise.

"No matter how loud you shout, you will not drown out the voice of the people"

But the people aren't understanding enough to be shouting. They are hesitating, awaiting instruction. Don't instruct them, but provide them with the necessary information for them to decide what to shout. Let them make the decision to cry 'Freedom!'

We shouldn't just be worrying about the physical slaves now. Consider yourself; are you a slave to sin?

"Now set the captives free; leave us abandoned to your praise."

No comments: